Saturday, September 3, 2011

Preserved lemons...ROCK MY SOCKS!

Okay, preserved lemons are one of the most awesome things ever, it's a Scientific fact. I say so, and I make Science. Anyway, I make them, I love them, I eat them. And I am always looking for more ways to do all three. If you don't know what preserved lemons are--well, you're deprived, no two ways about it, but--you're not alone. They can be made a number of ways, but the way I make them is very simple: Combine lemons and salt in a jar (it is more detailed than this, but I can't imagine you care--and I am not an authority and you should ask someone else--that being said, I will tell you anyway: cut off the stem end of your lemons, quarter them, but don't cut quite all the way through, pack the cut surfaces with kosher salt, pack the lemons into a jar with "shoulders", cram them down as hard as you can with a wooden spoon, pack as many as you possibly can in the jar, smooshing the juice out of them, if necessary add more lemon juice to cover the lemons, add a tablespoon or so of kosher salt, seal, and store in a cool dark place for 4 weeks, shaking/turning over occasionally. The finished product will store about a year in the fridge). [I bet any English teachers' heads exploded with all those commas.]

So, upshot: They are extremely salty and sour. I WANT TO PUT THEM IN COCKTAILS. Sort of a sweet/salty kinda notion. This works extremely well with li hing mui (a salty/sweet/sour dried plum), which makes amazing margaritas, infused vodka, and a variety of other cocktails.

IDEA 1: Preserved Lemon Simple Syrup

Not sure how this will work out. It is sweet, salty, and slightly bitter. Thick. This is going to take some experimentation. No, I didn't take a picture. Use your imagination.


IDEA 2: Preserved Lemon Dirty Martini

Use a bit of brining liquid instead of olive juice and garnish with a bit of lemon. I hope to try this later...but I have had beer, and an attempt using IDEA 1, and the Kool-aid is calling me.


ATTEMPTS

Preserved Lemon Drop- This was weird. I may have put too much syrup in. I dunno. I ended up dumping it into a pint glass (before I thought to take a picture) and adding  diet lemon-lime soda.


Okay...dinner time...maybe I will try again later...

No comments:

Post a Comment